Wednesday, March 26, 2014

News Ideas are Cooking

If you have ever been to my house, viewed my Instagram, or even met me, you know I love to cook.

Some of my most prized possessions are my recipes; some of my deceased grandmother's, some of my living grandmother's, some from teachers and professors, and some from the ever-coveted Paul Deen Cooking Bible.

Of all my passions, cooking is truly the one activity that offers me clarity, peace and serenity (and no, I did not steal that from Fergie. Or did I?)
Orange dreamsicle cake is a family favorite at
cook-outs and fish fries.

This summer, I will begin a new cooking series right here on News Kid on the Blog. I look forward to sharing some of my old favorites and new discoveries with all of you, directly from my kitchen.

Why summer, you might ask? Let me share a little with you about my personal life -- I will be graduating from college with a double degree in exactly one month and one week. As you might fondly remember, this last month is jammed full of graduation events, photos, luncheons and meetings, on top of classes, projects and final exams. If you're a spiritual person,  a word of encouragement whispered my way would be much appreciated.
 
Another reason for the teaser: I'm giving you all some advance notice to prepare your kitchens and cupboards for the coming events. Any good cook knows that the devil is in the details, and by details, I mean tools. Before we begin, you will need a few essentials:
    1. A garlic crusher. And not the $2 cheap-o from Wal-mart! You may hate garlic and believe you will never use this tool. Trust me, sister girl, you will. Just get it. I recommend  Pampered Chef's garlic press.
    My cajun garlic red potatoes are the crown jewel
    of my cooking secrets.

    2. Paula Deen's Porcelain non-stick skillet. I have three in robin's egg blue. They are virtually indestructible. This collection features a deeper skillet that allows for more cooking space and less mess (they also have lids.) I refuse to cook without them. You can find these individually at Walmart, Sears or Peebles. The whole set is also available on Overstock.com for a killer price.

    3. Deep Dish Covered Baker from Pampered Chef, or as I affectionately call it, the Magic Pot. A headliner of Pampered Chef's stonewear collection, this cranberry-colored cooking essential is straight from the Heaven tree, and it hit ever blessed branch on the way down. Similar to the dutch oven, this soap-stone dish can hold more than a gallon of food. But hold on -- there's more! It is engineered specially to fit and cook food perfectly -- in the microwave! Equipped with it's own cookbook, the magic pot can cook a 5-pound whole chicken or a dreamy chocolate lava cake in the the microwave in about a third of the time it takes in a conventional oven. If you take nothing else I ever say away from this blog, hear this: YOU NEED THE DEEP DISH COVERED BAKER. You will thank me.
    My Aunt Bec Bec's recipe for apple dumplings, cooked
    in the Deep Dish Baker (in the microwave!)






























































































































    For the record, I do not work for Pampered Chef, I am just a strong believer in their products. Everything comes with warranties. Buying cook wear is like buying shoes -- You are going to be using this stuff every day. If you cheap out and buy them at Wal-Mart, they're going to fall apart in six months and you'll be buying them again. Save yourself the headache and INVEST in a quality product that is backed by warranty. Those people at Pampered Chef are geniuses. The products will pay for themselves, I promise you.
    Polka dot cookies are a weeknight favorite of my family.

    If you are interested in ordering from Pampered Chef, you can purchase online, but you must go through a consultant. Ninety percent of the time, Pampered Chef is offering season specials, monthly steals and crazy discounts and free gifts for those willing to host a party (which can now be hosted completely online and through your Facebook!) If you are serious about purchasing, search the Pampered Chef website for a consultant in your area, or let me know and I can put you in contact with my consultant.

    Remember -- Investment! Just like that pair of Uggs in the closet.

     Y'all. I am so excited to start sharing my secrets with you. This is going to be fun! Keep an eye out for a an update on the coming cooking series. Get your supplies ready. Then we'll be cooking with peanut oil!

    This whole roaster chicken was prepared in the deep dish baker (in the microwave.)
    A summer garden helps add fresh and unique ingredients to your cooking.
    These are cherry tomatoes, "Tommy toes" and muscadines out of my garden.
    My family has come to expect "Sassy strawberries" at all events.




    Mawmaw's banana pudding is a family favorite all year round.
    In the summer, I enjoy creating new ice cream flavors with "YoNanas"

    My fried shrimp tacos are unbeatable with top secret "boom boom" sauce.

    I frequently cook blueberry and peanut butter waffles at home.

    My "Mama LeAnn" shared her cheesey chicken enchilada recipe with me.

    Rasberries are one of the easiest fruits to grow at home.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment